Wednesday, November 17, 2010

A New Commandment...

John 13:34-35 "A new commandment I give unto you, That ye love one another as I have loved you, that ye also love one another. By this shall all men know that ye are my disciples, if ye have love one to another."
While reading in the New Testament I came across this scripture. WE can show our love for God, our discipleship, by love others around us. What a great blessing for us in our time. What an easy admonition from the Savior, Love others as I have loved you. There are times when we are faced with adversity, and the way we chose to respond to that adversity really shows what kind of people we are. If we are living breathing disciples of Christ, or not. If someone around you were being ridiculed for their dress or way of speech, how would you act? What would you do? I recently read another blog that spoke of the Power of One. There is so much that we can do all by ourselves. Much of that relies on how we would act in these kind of situations. Would we offer a kind word and a reprimand for those who are teasing or would we walk on by. As a child I was given this opportunity. While on a bus to school, I was shocked to see boys a few seats in front of me teasing a special needs boy. The boy looked out the window and cried because there was nothing he could do about it. With all the muster and spitfire I had I reprimanded those boys and in one swift motion sat in the seat next to the special needs boy. I was teased and taunted, but the taunting was not even something that i remember, all I remember is that little boy looking at me and smiling. What a great feeling that was for me. So empowering and so humbling. I knew then deep down in my heart that I had amde a great decision in helping this boy.
Now what about in our day and age. many of us are active members of the church and therefore attend church regularly. If a new person comes into your ward or branch how do you treat them? do you welcome them and show them your love and appreciation or do you let them sit alone and wait for someone else to welcome them in. I was once on the receiving end, being new in a ward, and i was shocked to find that no one welcomed me. I attended the ward for over a month before I was even acknowledged. this was a very hard month for me. I was going through some hard personal times, and I was lacking frineds. I thought I would make some very soon in my ward, but it took about 3 months before I had even one friend in that ward. I can tell you from experience that I felt so small and so forgotten and looked over. Insignificance filled my soul and bitterness filled my heart. I made a pack with myself that day to always be welcoming to others int he ward, no matter who they were.
I guess what I am trying to point out is that being a disciple of Christ involves so much more than attending church, reading your scriptures, and praying. It involves serving others, loving others, making sure that others can see that Love of CHrist in your eyes and feel it when you talk to them. a question you could ask yourself is "Do people know I am a disciple of Christ by the way I treat them?" ponder this question, and act on it!! Do something for a family member, neighbor, or friend that shows them your love of Christ!!

1 comment: